Saturday, September 3, 2011

Mustaches, Mustaches Everywhere!

All of Trey's little buddies have big brothers Owen's age, so we knew we would need a little something to keep the big boys entertained at the "Little Man" party.

Owen and I took it on ourselves to make mustache crayons. To get in the mood, we started by watching the Mr. Rogers "How Crayons are Made" video. Bring back memories?!
We took all of the wrappers off of some old crayons, broke them into small pieces, then melted them in a tin can placed in a pot of boiling water on the stove. (There are only a gazillion and one tutorials for this technique online, so I'll spare you another step-by-step tutorial.)
Once the wax was melted we poured it into a mustache candy mold and layered the colors for a rainbow effect. It's definitely not uniform or very pretty if you ask me, but we had fun and that's what counts.
We set up the mustache crayons on a table for the big boys at the party to color with.
Which of course prompted lots of goofy pictures!
Owen the photographer took this one of me.
More "Little Man" party pictures to come!

4 comments:

Kelley @ TheGrantLife.com said...

Hi Sarah - Im new to your site and I must say I love it! The little man party is so adorable.. cant wait to see more pictures!

Erin J. said...

How fun! I love this! I never thought to use candy molds for crayons...thanks for the idea!

Unknown said...

how fun is that?! love it, girlie :)

Unknown said...

These are so cool! I'm hosting a mustache link party this week at Doodles & Stitches and I'd love for you to link up. http://www.doodlesandstitches.com/2012/09/mustache-link-party-17.html