Tuesday, March 6, 2012

My Grammy's Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies

I like to jump right in to posts with y'all like we're in the middle of a discussion. This particular one is a a big, heated discussion about a very important topic...

Do you like your cookies crispy or chewy?

I like my cookies like I like my steaks... medium rare. Why even bake cookies when (in my opinion) they are better just a little warmed?
These are my Grammy's cookies. Tried and true. Oatmeal Chocolate Chip. If you want them crispy they will obey nicely with a little chew in the middle. If you want them gooey they are the best, and if you want a good batter, oh man... get ready!

You can even freeze the dough if you have the will power or make and freeze the cookies.
Want the recipe?
My Grammy's Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies

1 1/2 cup plain flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup shortening
3/4 cup white sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon water
2 eggs
6 oz. semi-sweet chocolate chips
2 cups old fashioned oats

Cream shortening, sugars, vanilla, eggs and water together with a stand mixer. Add dry ingredients. Add oats and fold in chocolate chips. Bake on a greased cookie sheet at 375 degrees for 10 minutes or until the edges just start to brown. Yields about 2 dozen cookies.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

wow...these look soooo good!

Unknown said...

Oh my goodness, Sarah, these look fantastic, they're making me drool just a bit....... sorry I hope it doesn't cause any problems with your computer! :) Hope you and your sweet little family are well!

Unknown said...

soooo yummy!! oatmeal raisins are my favorite cookie!! i've eaten about 40 rice krispie treats today though...better wait on making cookies :)

BECKY said...

I just made these and they are delish!!! THANKS!

emily bennett said...

I made them also! I have never been able to follow a homemade recipe and have them turn out good- at all. These were absolutely delicious, easy, and my family is totally gobbling them up. It ended up making over thirty cookies for me (I have no idea how, they are nice sized!)

Oh- and you should know I am not a big fan of oatmeal-anything, let alone oatmeal cookies... and these looked so amazing I had to make them. I'm so glad I did!!!