Friday, June 8, 2012

Stromboli to boost your confidence

I love fast, easy meals that are sure winners.  I've made this close to a gajillion and one times and it never fails to bring me cheers, hugs and a fanfare.  Every time I've made it and taken it to someone (it travels superbly!) they have asked for the recipe.  Literally every single time.  It gets pretty funny.  I think women at my church are having babies just to get their hands on this one!  I didn't realize stromboli could boost your confidence, but this one has magical powers.
And it is as easy as can be, that's the great part!

Here's what you'll need:

  • Pillsbury Pizza Crust (classic or thin crust is fine, but I prefer classic)
  • McCormick Italian Herb Blend Grinder (or any Italian seasoning)
  • 1 Egg
  • Turkey Pepperoni (less greasy)
  • Fresh Basil (that's optional, I added it for summer!)
  • 1 bag of Shredded Italian Cheese Blend (it has mozzarella, parmesan, and some others I don't remember because parmesan makes my heart sing) about 3 cups
  • Sliced ham
  • Your favorite marinara to serve it with

First, preheat your oven to 425 degrees.  Beat the egg with a pastry brush (preferably one that was made in your lifetime, unlike mine.  I hate to think what that thing has been through...) and add the Italian seasoning.  Now there's no real measuring here, I'd say just wing it.  Roll out the pizza dough on a baking sheet and slather it with half of the egg mixture.
Next add a layer of pepperoni, a layer of basil (if you want to) and cheese.
Top is all off with the ham because it holds all of the goodies in place while you roll the stromboli up lengthwise like a jelly roll.  (Sorry for the sneak peek of my new counter tops without a full post on the kitchen remodel.  Some of the final projects are moving slowly... pinky promise I'll show you the pics soon.)
Pull out your pastry brush and give the roll a good slathering of the egg mixture on the top and sides.  You may even want to add a little more of the Italian seasoning to the top.  
Bake at 425 degrees for about 18-20 minutes or until the crust is golden brown.

Right after I stuck this baby in the oven Kyle brought in a package that was delivered from Flavor Tools.  I linked to their site in my post about Trey's Little Man first birthday party.  They made the mustache candy mold that I used for my crayons and chocolate party favors.  Remember that?
Anyway, they wanted to thank me for linking to their site and sending all of you lovelies their way, so they sent me this box chock full of candy molds... I couldn't be more excited!  I was literally jumping around in my kitchen clutching these $2 candy molds like they were made of pure gold!  I mean, how cute are these!?  I was sent a full alphabet, cars, astronauts, ice cream cones, balloons, motorcycles, balloons, a big number 2 for Trey's next birthday...  What fun!
I think I know what kind of party to throw Owen in November! :)  Thanks Flavor Tools!

No comments: