Friday, January 23, 2009

Homemakers in Training

For Christmas this year my mom gave my cousins, sister-in-law and me some very special gifts.  These aprons were worn by my great grandmother about 70 or 80 years ago and now they are getting a second life with us!  
I am amazed at the detail she put into making these very functional pieces of every-day life beautiful!  
It inspires me to start looking at the things I use every day in a different light.  Why not break out of my quick-and-easy, use-it-and-throw-it-away lifestyle and create beauty around me? 
It may take some extra time, but beauty created is never in vain.  My efforts may encourage those around me to use their God-given talents to inspire others and fan that little spark of creativity in them.  
I'll bet my great grandmother never guessed that her aprons would cause such a ruckus, so I'll just leave you with one more and step off my soap box now!

3 comments:

Adam and Natalie said...

How neat! They are beautiful!

Twiddle Thumbs said...

That is so great! That's amazing they are in such wonderful condition still. Enjoy them!

belle said...

I love this post. I feel the same way about aprons I don't know if you had a chance to look at any of mine when you were over at belle anad burger. I make one of a kind aprons at sell them at a local farmers market. I actually have a stash of my hubby's great grandmas that inspired me to start making aprons 4 or 5 years ago. Thanks for the linky love! I love your blog.