Thursday, January 29, 2009

Homemade Office Supplies

'Tis the season to start organizing for 2009!  What better way to get started than with a few office supply projects.  I want to show you a couple of easy projects I've done recently.

The first are some ribbon cork boards.  This can be as easy as hot glueing some thick rick-rack ribbon around the edge of your board like the larger navy board below.  The other board took a little more time, but was worth the effort. 
For the smaller board I cut some scrap ribbon pieces about 2 1/2 inches long.  (I've found that wired ribbon or thicker grosgrain ribbon work well for this.  The glue tends to show through thinner ribbon.)  I folded the ribbon in half and snipped one end to get an even V-shape.  I left the other end of the ribbon pieces straight.  Then I lifted the frame off of the cork just enough to tuck the straight ribbon end in between the frame and the cork.  You can use a flat-head screwdriver to help with this step.
After the ribbon was tucked in I put a dot of hot glue on the frame and flattened the ribbon out over the frame.  Repeat this process all the way around the board.  Tucking in the ribbon makes a very clean edge as you can see in the picture below.
Here's one more little project... a personalized memo pad.  Can you tell what these are made out of?
It's just a plastic picture frame from the dollar store with buttons and a sticky pad hot glued on.  Then I finished it off by writing the names with paint pens.  I think it would also be super cute to slip a piece of fabric in the frame and tie a ribbon at the top.  You could leave off the sticky pad and it could be a mini dry erase board too!

11 comments:

Christina said...

oooh - I just found an entire box of those acrylic frames the other day (I'm pretty sure it was leftover from a bible study craft night...) and wondered what to do with them!! Awesome. :)

Twiddle Thumbs admin said...

So cute! I love what a little ribbon or buttons and some hot glue can do. :)

Sarah Mae said...

I love that little personal notepad - how cute...and creative!

:)

new every morning said...

What a great idea for the notepads!

I made some corkboards a few years ago and painted the cork part... but the ribbon would have really been a great finishing touch! Good idea!

Tucker Family said...

ummmm--- I like the name on that note pad example.... am I about to get a surprise?! ;)

robinrane said...

Darling...love the ribbons and buttons!!!
Robin Rane'
All Things Heart and Home

Kara said...

These are just fabulous! I love the smaller cork board with all the cute ribbons. And the idea for the memo pad holders is pure genius!

Laraib Khan said...

Hello my friend! I would like to tell you that this write-up is awesome, great written and include almost all important info. I recently came to know about http://machinesuae.com/, their Office Supplies are very effective.
Office Supplies

John Lewis said...

Office works can cater to all your office stationery needs but keep a strict system in place regarding the use of it.

anubhav tiwari said...

Really nice and impressive blog. Thanks for sharing..
Home decor

Robert J. Hegwood said...

I loved the unique and cute ideas for office supplies mentioned in this blog. Decorating your office desk and cabin is now affordable with these cute and brilliant ideas.