Thursday, August 13, 2009

Driftwood Mirror

Each year at the beach we get a different surprise from the ocean that washes up. Two years ago it was sea weed... tons of it. Last year it was sea foam, again... tons and tons. Weird. This year our surprise was driftwood. I came up with the idea to make a driftwood mirror frame so I sent out the troops to find me some materials.
If you're interested in making your own, you'll need:
  • An old mirror
  • Driftwood
  • Saw
  • Gorilla Glue (I used the kind that dries white)
  • Pliers
  • Flathead screwdriver
First, remove the mirror from the frame. For mine, this involved pulling out some staples with the pliers and scraping off some glue with the screwdriver. Save the hardware that is used to hang the mirror because you'll reuse that on your new mirror.
Then grab a really great daddy to help saw the driftwood in half. You don't necessarily have to saw the driftwood, but I found that it's easier to adhere to the mirror if the first layer of driftwood is flatter.
Arrange the driftwood on the mirror and adhere with a SMALL amount of the Gorilla Glue. (You've got to really watch this stuff, it's sneaky. Somehow I ended up with a clump of glue in my hair that called for an impromptu haircut...ugh! And three days later I'm still finding it stuck to my fingers!) Attach the hardware from the original mirror on the back of your new creation with Gorilla Glue and you're all set.

Here's my cheesy self portrait! I think it will look a lot better hung on our sea foam greenish walls in the new Creative Room... Don't worry, I'll update you on the progress of that tomorrow!
PS. If you're inspired to create your own driftwood mirror, check out Mr. Woodland's mirrors and the prices of these suckers will definitely have you combing the beaches on your next trip! (Although they are beautiful, I can't imagine paying $850! Mine cost $15!)

13 comments:

Heather - Dollarstorecrafts.com said...

I love driftwood! My mom came up with a great driftwood decor idea that I'm going to post about soon!

gkgirl said...

awwww...
turned out very sweet...
:O)

Natalie said...

So pretty!

Le Bec said...

That's quite lovely!

Wendy said...

Very cool! I love it.

michelle@somedaycrafts said...

Love it! Featured on somedaycrafts.blogspot.com Grab my "featured" button

Rachel@oneprettything.com said...

Wow, it looks gorgeous! What a great memento. Thanks so much for sharing this, I'll be linking.

Anonymous said...

Hello,


I love driftwood art!




~ Gabriela ~

Jamie said...

What an awesome idea. This would go perfect in my house. Living close to a body of water with tons of driftwood would make this a definite option for the "TO-DO" list. Nice work!!

Unknown said...

What a fantastic idea !!!!Awesome.....Nice drift wood decoration thanks for sharing...
___________________
susana
Apply now Nation wide cash

Anonymous said...

Very cool! I love it.What an awesome idea. This would go perfect in my house...Nice drift wood decoration thanks for sharing...
--
Reenee
Home Security Systems no CREDIT CHECK everyone is approved

Amanda said...

I love your mirror!

imperfectly natural mama said...

Hi, your mirror is great, I love it. I love the fact that you have used lovely large pieces of driftwood. I have made a driftwood mirror to, but I made it with small pieces of driftwood which I think is probably less successful, I would love it if you took a look here: