Monday, November 10, 2008

Felt ball tutorial

I've seen people make these precious little felt balls and so I thought I'd try it out.  In the process I learned a lot about what not to do, so I thought I'd share with you the correct way to make these.
My son has a mini basketball that I used as the model.  I made a pattern by rolling the ball on some tissue paper and tracing the basketball lines with a pencil.  It turned out that I got a shape that looks like a big eye.  I cut out four of the eye shapes and sewed them together.
Then I flipped the ball inside out and stuffed it with way more stuffing than I thought possible. To make it a little more fun, I put in a "Midnight Crazy!"  It's one of those little cat toys with a bell in a cage.  It's safe because if Owen somehow figures out how to rip open the ball he still couldn't choke on the bell since it's in the little cage.
When I make these again I will probably not make a ball shape because it's hard to get perfectly round.  I think I'll make a cube and I'll also leave the seams out and wash it to make it look frayed like I did on my tummy time blanket.  

3 comments:

Mom2fur said...

I just made two cloth balls, but have not yet sewn up the opening. I'm so glad I didn't! I'm giving them to two little kids, and I also worry about the bell inside. I never thought to use a cat ball. You are brilliant!!!!!!

Jules said...

Recently a mouse ate the felt ball hanging from one of my sons toys (ewww right? NOT a pet mouse as well!!) - and when I took it apart the little bell was sewn into a small square of fabric. This would also help with the choking hazard. :)

MagliaMo' said...

When I started with my new passion for plastic canvas (that in Italy it's almost unknown yet), the second thing I created was a cube, complete of a little ring inside...
It's amusing and little children love it! :-))
Ciao from Italy (and many compliments for your blog)