Monday, March 1, 2010

SYTYC Week 4: Retro Magnetic Board

We are on Week 5 of the SYTYC competition... Crazy that it's Week 5 already!! This week's theme is "For Him" and there are a lot of cute things for boys, so go check it out. As always I'm curious to hear what you think, so vote first, then leave me a comment.

For Week 4 of the competition I tackled a few firsts... finally using the precious stash of my grandmother's fabric, quilting, and using up so much mod podge I had to leave the room! Phew! Here's the final project. Thanks to all who voted!

I had a lot of fun going all out (or maybe... overboard!?) with the retro theme this week! I used both retro materials and retro techniques to create this magnetic board.
My Retro Materials: The board itself is actually an old tin ceiling tile that was salvaged and spray painted white. My grandmother gave me some old quilting squares that she got in the Florida Keys ages ago, and I've been saving them for the perfect project. Sometimes it's hard to use fabric you love so dearly, but when it turns into something this beautiful it's a little easier!
My Retro Techniques: I'm not much of a quilter, but since this was just a teeny project, I decided to tackle it. After quilting the squares together I used one of the oldest crafting techniques there is... decoupage! This step was a little tricky, but in a winning tutorial I'll share all my secrets!

3 comments:

Rockie said...

I have to admit, I recognized the handwriting :) But this week is hard. I've already looked and have no idea which one is yours. So I haven't voted yet. Oh boy!

Alisa said...

My guess is the little man shoes---completely adorable!! Love it!

Unknown said...

Sarah, I loved this magnetic board! I'm so glad I guessed right this time. And for this week's challenge, I'm with Alisa. I guess your entry is the little man shoes. I love following the competition! -Allyson B.